Sunday, April 04, 2010

Woes of an Early Adopter

In the area of gadgets and technology, I consider myself an Early Adopter, and in some cases even an innovator.  Thus was the case when I purchase the Helio phone (Prior to that I had a SideKick).    I am one of those people who don't like fingerprints on their screen, so the thought of an iPhone really gave me the creeps.    I like the Helio because it had a keypad, a query keyboard, and navigation buttons... none of that touchy-feely crap!  Overall, the Helio was a good phone, and an excellent texting device.  I could retrieve both my POP mail and my Gmail, but the web surfing left something to be desired.

Well, just as my luck goes Helio did not make it, they were bought out my Virgin Mobile.  It was an easy transition, because my phone still worked and it was very transparent.  Well a few weeks ago, I got a letter in the mail telling me that Virgin Mobile was being bought out by Sprint.  Here we go again!  Well in this case, I would not be able to use my phone, AND I would have to sign a new contract with Sprint, WTF?  So, my journey for a new phone began.

My son has a T-mobile G1 that he has been very please with, so I wanted to look at the G1 and also the Droid.   My son's phone was the first version of the G1 so he has a query keyboard, unfortunately for me, the new G1 no longer has that feature.  I opted for the Droid, which is a Verizon phone.  I love the keypad, but there is a lot of touchy-feely crap that I have to get used to, and yes the fingerprints are about to send me up a wall.

Yesterday was the release of the highly anticipated iPad, did I get one... NO!  I had enough touchy-feely for one day.  I am going to wait and let the innovators work all of the kinks out, and jump in with the other early adopters when the next edition comes out.

1 comment:

Greg G said...

If I didnt have AT&T I would totally hook myself up with a Droid. Seems like a pretty sweet phone.