Wednesday, November 05, 2008

" When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice" -- Proverbs 29:2

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."
—President-elect Barack Obama, November 4, 2008, Acceptance Speech
There are no words strong enough, wise enough, or elegant enough, to describe how I fell at this moment, or how I felt when it was announced that Barack Obama was going to be our next president.

Of course, I voted for him. I also caucused for him. And I truly believe in him. I wanted him to win with every fiber of my being, but there was always that little doubt in my mind, as to if this could happen in my lifetime.

I prayed for this moment, and I am so thankful that God allowed me the opportunity to be a part of this process. I have come along way from being a young girl in Memphis, TN whose mother brought her along to march with Dr. King during the Sanitation Workers strike in Memphis.

I have lived to see some wondrous and marvelous things in my life. But nothing compares to how I feel right now in this moment in time. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. In the words of my grandmother "We have come a mighty long ways", let us all support our president, encourage our president, but most importantly pray for our president; for he is going to need us in the days to come.

May the pride of our ancestors adorn him during his presidency, and may the Lord our God, hold him tight and guide his path.

No comments: