Monday, April 21, 2008

What’s on my Night Stand/iPod

It’s been awhile since I last reviewed the books that I have either been reading or listening, or in some cases both. Here is a quick recap:

Book: Duma Key: A Novel
  • ISBN: 1416552510
  • Author: Stephen King
  • Rating: 5 Stilettos
  • Review: He’s back! Yes the Stephen King that was worth the long wait in line at the book stores just to get a first edition hardback copy is alive and well. I was kind of worried about my old pal Stephen because his last couple of books were both duds. I listened to the audio version of Duma Key in my car, and I couldn’t wait to get it the car each day to continue the story. He was a really good listen.

    Listen to Stephen King talk about Duma Key

Book: The 4-Hour Work Week
  • ISBN: 0307353133
  • Author: Timothy Ferriss
  • Rating: 4 Stilettos
  • Review: I first listened to this book on audio, and thought it was interesting enough to purchase a hardcopy of the book. You have to take the advise with a grain of salt, but there really were some great resources given, that I needed to see in print (or else I would have to keep rewinding so I could write everything down.)
Book: Magic Street
  • ISBN: 0345416902
  • Author: Orson Scott Card
  • Rating: 1 old beat up tennis shoe
  • Review: I purchased this book when it was first released back in 2005. Being an Orson Scott Card fan, I couldn’t wait to read his new book. I found it really interesting that this book took place in an African American neighborhood. Why the book had a few interesting parts, it wasn’t enough to keep my interest so I put the book down (for a couple of years.) I subscribe to http://www.audible.com/ , and as a legacy member I get two audio book downloads each month. One month I was having a hard time finding two books, so I said what the hell, let me try Magic Street on audio. I normally can listen to anything while driving. The results were the same. I got a little further, but decided it really was worth my time. This was disappointing to me, because I loved all of the books in the Ender series. I guess this was Mr. Card’s “experimental” writing. As my friend Trisha says he needs to continue to “write what you know.”
Book: The New Earth
  • ISBN: 0452289963
  • Author: Eckhart Tolle
  • Rating: Barefoot (Unrated)
  • Review: This is still a work in progress. I purchased this book in paperback and downloaded the audio version from http://www.audible.com/. The original plan was my friend Wanda and I were going to go through the Oprah on-line class. Well, life happened. I got through the first chapter/class and my husband became ill. All of my energies focused on his healing so I got off-track. Well, he is doing better now, and my plan is to pick up where I left off. Luckily, Oprah has the classes available for download, so I will still be able to go through the classes as I read through the book.

No comments: